Tuesday, November 6, 2018

For All the Trees I Never Planted,

"Faith of a Dreamer" by ChieuMua  click here for source 


Linking with The Sunday Muse for Muse # 28
and Imaginary Gardens for The Tuesday Platform
brought to us by the lovely Sanaa 
come join us!

The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson





We should not burn a bridge that we never even crossed
Nor should we build something bigger when something better will be lost
But really it is about the act of doing you see life is a leap of faith
We have to sweat a little if we want to make something great
We must get our hands dirty and plant a garden or a tree
Get off that comfortable sofa and truly live what we believe
Making a difference is not just for the other guy
It is a mission that is yours and it is a mission that is mine
For in the name of progress it seems so much has been lost
And we should not build something bigger when something better will be lost.

This is dedicated to all the trees that have been cut down in the name of progress.  What a sad story it truly is.   I have always loved trees and felt they have a magnificent presence all around us.  In fact, the first poem I ever wrote was about a tree when I was 11 years old.  Yes, trees are dear to me, and since we recently celebrated arbor day, it felt fitting to write this.  The sad thing is I have never actually planted a tree with my own bare hands.  I work right inside a botanic garden center.  They gave out little trees for arbor day, and I have one now.  So guess what?  I am going to plant a tree.  Little steps they say.  I am going to get my hands dirty and make beautiful shade for my great great grandchildren.



16 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie, this is a 'right on' poem. My favorite line is
    "For in the name of progress it seems so much has been lost."
    It seems we have so much of that. My generation had a song, "Big Yellow Taxi" sung by Joni Mitchell with the theme, Put up a Parking Lot
    "They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel *, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot ...
    "
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jim, and yes I have heard that song, and I love it. I first heard it sang by Amy Grant.

      Delete
  2. I hope your tree planting goes well - nothing beats getting one's hands dirty .... it's a very enriching experience. And given the nature, or lack there of, due to over-development, clear-cutting etc., every tree counts. Hell, it takes forever to grow and set itself to rights, and just minutes to destroy ... so yes, we mourn the losses, but it's easy enough to take steps to act - if not to prevent, which isn't possible in all cases, then at least, to "replenish and return" ... which is better than doing nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I have a bit of a black thumb so we shall see.

      Delete
  3. I have tried to plant so many trees that have died... the best trees are those that comes by themselves I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you are saying makes sense to Bjorn. Sometimes when you let nature do it's job things blossom better. Still I will try and hope for the best.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely poem. I have planted trees and other things as well. One of my best friends is an oak who lives across the road in a small wood. I climb him about once a month and sit in him for several hours watching the forest folk and listening to them as they go about their business. Sometimes I take my violin and play them. Tress are wonderful. I hope you will plant many more of them and nurture them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem. I have planted trees and other things as well. One of my best friends is an oak who lives across the road in a small wood. I climb him about once a month and sit in him for several hours watching the forest folk and listening to them as they go about their business. Sometimes I take my violin and play them. Tress are wonderful. I hope you will plant many more of them and nurture them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Carrie this is beautifully eloquent. We must do our best to perserve nature and its beauty. Every little act counts!💜

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! The message and the image are a great balance and I love the way it underscores that part of building is a clear look at where you are beginning from and what is worth preserving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have planted lots of trees in my life It is something I should be proud of.I have never really though about it. The birds thank me for their food and homes:) I have seen old magnificent trees murdered in the name of progress replaced with ugly development and it is always a wrench. Trees are not difficult to grow...pleased you are planting your first one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And we should not build something bigger when something better will be lost... that's a beautiful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we should not build something that would destroy a precious past...lovely thoughtful poem

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to plant a tree.
    Little steps they say

    Even little steps start with the first step. And you've taken the first step. That is great Carrie!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's wonderful for you. I love trees myself, once cried an entire weekend 'cause a tree needed to go, on Monday we cancelled, the tree still stands *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best time to plant a tree, I'm told, was 25 years ago. The next best time is today.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson