Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Sound of Loneliness


Linking with The Sunday Muse for # 14
and Imaginary Gardens for the Tuesday Platform brought to us by the lovely Sanaa
come join us!

Silence is a sounding thing, to one who listens hungrily.  ~Gwendolyn Bennett


Loneliness is a song I learned in the echoed voice of large halls
searching for my own words when other's spoke nothing at all
where empty rooms held a certain grief that could swallow you whole
and windows were like distant mirrors of all I longed to know 
Somehow I carried the ballad with me through years from place to place
and the words linger within me as silence within a crowded space
I remember the verse most clearly not in solitude from the crowd
but in busy public places is where it becomes truly loud.



Note:
Sometimes loneliness can be like lightning bolts of emptiness in a world full of hurt, but in this world there is also hope.  We all face certain struggles in our journey, and those struggles can be different as night and day.  Mine have been childhood loss, loneliness and a yearning for normalcy in the past that I never truly had.  But in our different struggles we have the opportunity to be there for each other.  To lend a listening ear, shoulder to cry on, or kindness and support.  Yes silence has a sound but so too does hope and I am learning hope's song like a child one note at a time. 

13 comments:

  1. this is truly a lovely piece - haunting for the truths of silence, longing, loneliness - and solitude - but yes, there can be hope within all of this - often, it makes itself known when least expected - and for as heavy as the oppressiveness is, in that one sliver of a moment, it is enough - and it does carry one through

    I was surprised by your interpretation of the image, but in a really good way ... I like how you've taken the idea of music and notes, and the spaces of silence between playing chords - and fashioned it into your own song - yet it's a song that resonates for all ....

    wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I best love your line about learning hope's song one note at a time. Beautiful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the verse most clearly
    not in solitude from the crowd but
    in busy public places is where
    it becomes truly loud.

    Loneliness can make silence to be deafening even with others around. Very true Carrie! Opening up is so complicating to one saddled with self-made inhibitions!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. not in solitude but in busy public places.. so true...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normalcy is not all that it is cracked up to be. Having tried it for years to avoid being a lonely little petunia in an onion patch and became Queen Onion. I discovered a lot of hidden elements that are extremely repugnant which a sensitive like yourself would find abhorrent. Contrasts are essential in the life journey to know where your best situation lies. There are kindred spirits out there but because you are so special possibly only about 10 globally. OK I tend to exaggerate maybe about 20 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sound of loneliness can break eardrums and more tender bits... You are correct, we can change the tune, make better music, when we lean on each other. Hope makes a stunningly soothing sound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So well expressed....loved the poem!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this poem, Carrie, especially the lines:
    '...empty rooms held a certain grief that could swallow you whole
    and windows were like distant mirrors of all I longed to know'
    and
    'I remember the verse most clearly not in solitude from the crowd
    but in busy public places is where it becomes truly loud'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, this loneliness song is hard hitting - it is in the din of the crowd that this silent melody becomes so harsh.
    Evocative and emotive, in all its sounds and silences.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree this hits home and stirs my heart in ways I can't describe 💜 worth a countless reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the loneliness in the crowd is the worst kind of silence... love this piece

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson