Sunday, July 29, 2018

It Is What It Is








Dream House by Jim Warren

Linking with The Sunday Muse for Muse # 13
Also linking with Poets United for Poetry Pantry
A lot of 13s going on here....hope that is a lucky sign not a bad one. LOL

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses



~Sometimes my eyes are cactus near a flowing stream~


Life is like a dusty chandelier and the dimmer the setting

 the less you can see what can be done. 


~Sometimes my lips are bankrupt in a solemn fortress~


Life is like a triple scoop ice cream cone

and if you do not eat it earnestly while you can
it will melt all over and leave a big mess


~Sometimes my heart feels like just a spoon of pepto in a world of disease~


Life is like a crystal vase upon a table

it is meant to be filled with beautiful flowers not be empty on a shelf.


~Sometimes my feet are red wood trees in a fast moving blaze~


Life is like a tall rocky mountain

it is majestic and an inspiration to stand before yet also an utter struggle to climb.


~Sometimes my hands are frail like bent limbs on a dying tree~


Life is like an unbridled horse

that runs free out of our control
yet still we try to tame it.




Note:
I have spent many years not seeing what I should, not relishing what I could, not being all I could be,  and trying to control what was out of my hands. It seems some lessons do not come easy.  Gaining wisdom has been like taming an unbridled horse.  It is hard, and it is going to take some time.  I suppose life is meant to be a process of learning and growth.  If it were meant to be easy, it would be.  I just feel a bit weary sometimes.  I am a slow learner and I have the bunions to prove it.    I am in need of a true vacation, maybe a trip to the beach to just walk the shore, count my blessings, and pick up some sea shells along the way.   




20 comments:

  1. So nice to see you, Carrie, and to read this beautiful poem. Hard won wisdom. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If wisdom came easy, would we value it for its true worth? Carrie, only you know the answer to this question. We all move at our pace, in the acquiring of knowledge and wisdom. All at different paces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to forget (in addition to already learned lessons) that learning takes time and space. Time to absorb and time to integrate. I love the reminders within your verses that life is more oblique than obvious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this especially: "Sometimes my lips are bankrupt in a solemn fortress..." 💖

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Beautiful! Words & photo! So dreamlike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the direction you took this piece in. There is a lot to linger over and ponder here … to say nothing of the fact that it is simply a beautifully rendered poem. Awesome writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite beautiful and unexpected. Quite a gift, these images that reflect on each other and open u all the windows and doors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is like an unbridled horse
    that runs free out of our control
    yet still we try to tame it.

    Very true Carrie, in fact most times that way. It makes life all the more interesting in a way.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so easy to be waylaid by life and find after a number of years you haven't done what you really wanted to do. However it is never too late to satisfy yourself and take the road less travelled. Never regret what you haven't done but ensure you laugh and be thankful for what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Collecting shells sounds like a wonderfully meditative activity

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your words Carrie and the wisdom they hold.
    "Life is like a dusty chandelier and the dimmer the setting
    the less you can see what can be done."
    Love this especially and will try and commit same to memory, and use the wisdom when needed.
    I hope you achieve your true vacation and pick up those seashells.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite is the 'vase' verse

    Thanks for dropping by my Sunday Standard this week

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Carrie
    Monday WRites 165 is live. I invite you to link in

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Life can certainly melt in our hands, if we don't take our time to delight in it with care... I really love that.

    And I completely agree with the heart of your note, we need to slow down (or speed up towards soothing things), if we are to survive and enjoy this thing called living.

    I hope you find the most lovely shells. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  15. if we could just learn before we make mistakes... so much easier. Love your wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your poem tells me, you have learned a lot. Perhaps we are wise, when we know nothing....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful imagery, if a mite down-hearted. I think, if you keep engaging wiht life, it will be rewarding enough.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so many wise words to ponder upon. my favourite is that " life is like a triple scoop ice cream cone". pretty true, i guess.
    i think we view life differently in the various phases of living. when we were younger we were like wild horses, impatient, impetuous, then when we were very much older, we were like, dusty chandeliers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes I find myself wondering if I am a slow learner - I can relate with the thought-process behind it.
    I think experience goes way beyond anything and it paves the way for wisdom in its own time. And I find your verse teeming with a certain tacit understanding of the same.

    I really like the aphorism like statements here - eyes like cactus, red wood feet, et al. create oneness with one's own nature too. Very well-penned.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson