Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Little Girl Who Could Not Cry

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 118 hosted this week by the brilliantly talented Chrissa!
Come join us!

Sorrow makes us all children again — destroys all differences of intellect. The wisest know nothing. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is a red-hot kettle 
the one I was never meant to hold 
and my heart that burns with longing 
has not yet learned to let it go 
my soul yearns to go backwards 
and speak with the child I once was 
warn of hurt and danger 
preventing so many scars 
for I have learned to carry heavy burdens 
and how to fall slipping in regret 
trying to keep it all together 
holding tight to things not mine to get 
but like the Red-Footed Falcon 
freedom is the truest way 
and tears of loss and heartache 
were never meant to be caged 
you cannot carry an ocean nor a thousand buckets of rain 
so why would you carry everyone's sorrows 
and keep holding on to all the pain? 
you see every poem is a message 
 that my own heart needs to hear 
and drop by drop of ink and words 
have helped me find the tears. 

11 comments:

  1. This poem really speaks to me, Carrie. I was a great Coper in my time, the one who always had to be strong and keep it together. Rarely cried. Then Pup died and I dont think I have stopped since. Eventually the tears have to come out, and heaven knows there are a lot of them. I love the lines about each poem being a message the poet needs to hear. That is the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To put it all out there today is brave .... we cannot carry an ocean for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lines about carrying the ocean--we can't. And poems can be channels for experience to go through us. :) Love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely Carrie, and so true. It cuts to the core of our sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "you cannot carry an ocean nor a thousand buckets of rain
    so why would you carry everyone's sorrows"
    Wise words indeed. Happy Sunday

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  6. This resonated with me so much! Privately, I call this getting a Masters or PhD in pain- none of us are immune from it. And you write of it so succinctly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "you cannot carry an ocean nor a thousand buckets of rain" -- nope. "and drop by drop of ink and words" -- that is what will fill our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt this deeply. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. and drop by drop of ink and words
    have helped me find the tears

    Can well imagine Carrie, how poems can have the strong effects of bringing tears of joy
    to its readers!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, you can’t carry an ocean. No one should absorb all the pain. Wonderful work, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the line, "you cannot carry an ocean nor a thousand buckets of rain."
    That also reminded me of one I heard told to another, "you might as well
    worry about sweeping all the water back from the beach."
    ..

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson