Saturday, July 11, 2020

Direction of the Heart

"Seeing Black & White"  photography by the very talented Susie Clevenger.

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 116
Come join us!


The past is not a package one can lay away. ~Emily Dickinson


In my dreams I see reflections of yesterday
Leading me down black and white highways
to places I once had been
I wander backwards
Heading into the past
Holding moments long since gone
I see the faces I miss so much
 and hear voices
That I have not heard in years
Holding children that have long since grown up
For in life, I have seen many things change
Right before my eyes
Each one is a part of what has molded the direction that my heart follows now
The joy keeps me hopeful
The storms inspire change
The loss has given me calluses upon my knees
Giving me the strength to keep moving forward
No matter what lies ahead
For my heart knows where I come from
And that gives me the greatest direction of all.


9 comments:

  1. I love "the joy keeps me hopeful" and how the loss has given you calluses on your knees. Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels like a sermon become a prayer...it catches me and stills me, leaving that powerful statement to fall perfectly at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'wandering backwards while heading into the past' ~~~ love that line. And huge congrats on your Amazon book of poems and essays!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last night I was watching a documentary about Jonestown and they had Jim Jones's son on camera. He was saying that he has dreams where all the people he knew and loved and worked next to are alive in his dreams. Then he wakes up and realizes they are gone and experiences all that grief again and again. This made me think of that man and his sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is filled with joy and sorrow. The rear view mirror holds all of it. I am glad you are seeing hope, the best direction to travel. Thank you for choosing my photo and writing this beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the remembrance and love of what was and what is yet to be, beautiful Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Holding children that have long since grown up" -- yes, so bittersweet, and always seeing the road ahead mixed with the rearview mirror. "I wander backwards" -- wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so poignant... May our hearts continue to lead and direct us in the right paths...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those last two lines end this wonderful poem perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson