Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Bon Voyage

Pixabay on Pexels

Linking with Toni's Wed Muse # 9 Anniversary
Thank you Toni for another wonderful prompt!!

Marriage is a book of which the first chapter is written in poetry and the remaining chapters in prose. ~Beverley Nichols

All my wedding anniversaries have sailed out to sea
One got lost at the Bermuda Triangle
and since has never been seen
My heart still remembers
But my mind forgets
Roses of longing
Are now long since shipwrecked
Another marriage got eaten by a great white shark
Every anniversary it held close
is now all lost in the dark
My heart still remembers
But my mind forgets
The flowers of wanting
are now wilted with neglect
for all my wedding anniversaries have sailed out to sea
no message in a bottle
can bring them back to me.

©Carrie Van Horn 2019

13 comments:

  1. Wow Carrie. Roses of longing, flowers of wanting...beautifully sad lines. The last two lines...oh my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The flowers of wanting are now wilted with neglect." Such wonderful lines. Such a poignant poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad...

    Beautiful picture, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sway of the lines worked so well with subject, you could feel drag of the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was beauty and sadness Carrie. Very well done. My favorite lines:
    "The flowers of wanting are now wilted with neglect" and "My heart still remembers But my mind forgets"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, I definitely relate to this, twice over!!! Beautifully said, and I'm grateful for no message in a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can relate...i do not believe i will have any more anniversaries...i think i am ok with it...but it took me a long time to get to that point...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't even tell you what date my anniversary was, anymore. Sharks and eerie triangles ate all of that for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the repeating lines, which go right to the heart. My first shark I barely remember–good thing. Love this poem, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can definitely relate to this Carrie, and I'm thankful for no message in a bottle! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Carrie . . . so powerful, and beautifully written.
    Sad as well.
    Life is so hard sometimes when things don't work out, as happens so often.
    Guess I was lucky, when I had her. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you everyone! I have really enjoyed reading yours! Wonderful prompt Toni!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Relationships in marriage or otherwise it seems often fail. Sad poem which a lot can relate to.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson