Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Sailors, Soldiers, and Saints

Photo Credit




Linking with Imaginary Gardens for The Tuesday Platform brought to us by Rommy
also linking with The Sunday Muse
come join us!




“The Brave die never, though they sleep in dust:  Their courage nerves a thousand living men.”
~ Minot J. Savage



To all the lost sailors and every soldier, my attempt at thank you is like a whisper in a hail storm
. It could never be enough.
 For those who sacrifice life, and limb so that I may abundantly live in freedom’s trust.

I have never known the brunt of war, because you paid for my freedom at the ultimate price.
No earthly possession of magnificence could ever re-pay you even if I tried.

So instead of thoughts and mere spoken words, my pledge to you is this:
To take this gift you have given like a pirate’s treasure and make it a beautiful life well lived.

I shall reach out with wings like angels and eagles and soar instead of perch in place.
I will leave a mark, not like pencil nor chalk, but one that time cannot erase.

Yes, I will walk in abundance choosing to grow, blossom and truly thrive.
I will not complacently lay stagnant and just attempt to simply survive.

I will live my life with passion and purpose, like a missionary in a foreign land
I will choose to make a difference, and for what truly matters I will stand.

My offering is plain and simple; I will give back by being a blessing every time I can
That is my pledge to the brave, living and fallen and every woman, child and man.

15 comments:

  1. "...like a whisper in a hail storm."

    Something tells me they hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful poem and full of love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for the Memorial Day observance. I don't like to call it a holiday because of the connotations of frivolity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words and thoughts are beautiful Carrie.
    We should love our lives thus, to honour those who gave their lives for our freedom.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. extremely caring tribute for those who gave so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. choosing to make a difference is a great goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful poem, and a beautiful philosophy! I love this, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pledge indeed! A great way to live life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful memorial poem and pledge, Carrie. I especially love the simile:
    '...my attempt at thank you is like a whisper in a hail storm'
    and the line:
    'I will leave a mark, not like pencil nor chalk, but one that time cannot erase'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh.. such an eloquent tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the best way to respect the dead is to be careful with the freedom and peace we've gained....

    ReplyDelete
  12. These lines...love the way they rise from whisper to oratory. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tribute to fallen heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is sooo nice, Carrie. I think ending with your pledge is about the ultimate that anyone can do now. Of course history isn't written yet for our messes. BTW, Mrs. Jim's brother died in WWII, his plane, a P-38, was shot down over Italy by the Germans. They also shot and killed him as he parachuted down. An Italian Catholic priest buried him, keeping his dog tag. Later his body was moved to a cemetery in New Orleans.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect for Memorial Day, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson