Sunday, May 16, 2021

The Gate Keeper

 

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #160.  Hosted this week by my fabulously talented poet friend Shay!   Come join us!


"To dare is to lose one's footing.  To not dare is to lose oneself."   ~ Soren Kierkegaard


In the marvel of our youth we eagerly open every gate

yearning to reach and feel everything under the sun

like blind hands

that do not know what lies ahead

but as the quilted blanket always dries on the line

under the mid-day sun

colors fade

edges tatter and tear with time

caution takes hold

like a tight winter coat

we long for shelter

learning to lock doors with prudent hands

we view the horizon from closed windows

knowing all too well 

what lies ahead.


Note to self & the world:

Leave the gate unlocked with open hands and an open mind.


17 comments:

  1. Ever so true, Carrie. In my dotage, I have added a chain lock, a moat and a security guard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this picture also seemed like youth to me. You draw the comparison and the slow fade of age and change perfectly. But I'm not sure I would want to go back and be that open again to what can walk in, either. Perhaps being a gatekeeper you can have the best of both states. Loved this, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly can see the boldness of youth in the image. I have grown bolder in different ways as I grow older. I keep the door closed at times, but I often test the lock by slinging it wide open. If I don't like what enters I have no problems saying, "Get out" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Carrie.
    Happy Sunday

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, our youth is unguarded and we only seem to add locks and bolts as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The open mind and heart are key, even if we do enjoy the safety of our quiet rooms, emerging from the fray of life outside...........wonderful, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need to emerge and open our hearts. Love this, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep on opening your heart and soul for this beautiful knowledge.

      https://bolgameshowluckydraw.blogspot.com

      Delete
  8. Carrie, your poem beautifully describes the journey from youthful boldness to what I call ‘sensibleness’ ~ some folks follow that path ~ others not. Like Susie, I grew bolder as I aged, after more than several ‘backslides’ .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt respected ,this post is full of admirable ideas .

      https://bolgameshowluckydraw.blogspot.com

      Delete
  9. An inspiring poem. The beautiful tone touches a chord somewhere e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so much impressed by your golden thoughts.

      https://bolgameshowluckydraw.blogspot.com

      Delete
  10. Wonderful metaphors, loved especially the tattered quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting knowledge from your admirable blog post .

      https://bolgameshowluckydraw.blogspot.com

      Delete
  11. What a meaningful and beneficial blog post and article for good knowledge.


    https://sonywebkbc.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am getting knowledge from your ideas and thoughts.

    https://bolgameshowluckydraw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson