Saturday, October 12, 2019

The Dream Poems

   Rebeca Cygnus photography
Visit her website HERE

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 77

In a dream you are never eighty.  ~Anne Sexton


I double dog dared myself to write 2 poems for this one, so here are my poems for the promt:

The Casualties of Dreams,

Awake I dream of what could be
But Asleep I dream of what has been
re-living my past as a person at times I barely know
each place is a little different
and yet everything is always the same
I brave storms in rooms I have lived in
and walk close to the edge of cliffs where
I know I have never walked
fearless as I would have been
 before I ever knew what it was to fall
yet all the fears I have learned to hold
come out like pigeons wanting crumbs
and every struggle I have wrestled with
manifests itself like a spirit
 that floats through walls
that I rarely can escape
I almost lose my dearest love
 down every dangerous street
As I fall further from where I once was
Lost and feeling alone
Then my father
 who has been gone for decades
 enters asking me
 do I know where I am?
My voice answers
 I am only dreaming
As my heart answers,
Yes I am here to visit you!
For awake I dream of what could be
But asleep I dream of what has been.

************************************

The Soul's Odyssey,


It is as an excursion of the heart
when we lay our head to rest
where the matters of the soul
journey back to be a guest
the day rewinds from eyes open to eyes shut
 and our thoughts reach out to explore
opening every closed window
and running through every open door
from childhood homes and play grounds
to peril in the streets
it is a high action movie
that is viewed from within the sheets



12 comments:

  1. These are both wonderful; I love the way the first one curls around fears and hopes and the second one presents them almost as a magic act, illusion created out of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I over-analyze my dreams and this sounds familiar. Thank you for a beautiful picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these resonate for me, especially the first one! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one - wow. They are both fantabulous but the first one...oh my my.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are very strong and ambitious takes on the photo. I especially love the first one Carrie, and the brilliant couplet at the end to wrap up the piece. Some solid writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these dreams poems are fantastic. There are many layers in the first one, dreams often take us to places we have been. I think sometimes we also dream of what may be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fearless, as we were before we knew what it was to fall. What a wonderful poem! I love the fears coming out like pigeons wanting crumbs. In the second poem, i love that excursion of the heart we make, in review, with our eyes closed......fantastic writing, especially the first. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where the matters of the soul
    journey back to be a guest

    Memories will certainly feature within our dreams more so those of loved ones. Beautiful duo Carrie. Great word craft!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are great, but I especially like the Soul's Odessy. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson