Saturday, April 6, 2019

This is Just the Beginning

Photo by Lukasz Dziegel from Pexels

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 50 Yes this is our 50th prompt Yay!
Come join us!


The rustling sounds at the back drew her to the fence like a lure.  Sara had finally arrived at the MacGregor Ranch, hoping to find Mrs. Covington, the owner of the property.  She had been longing to make this trip for such a long time and get answers about her real father, Leon.  He had been a horse trainer and lived on the property for years as a ranch hand.  This was the only thing she knew about him.  He was a stranger otherwise.  A person she had never known, a face that she had never seen except in pictures.

  Peering through the open slat in the fence she tried to get a glimpse of him before she walked around to the front and knocked on the ranch house door. So many questions filled her mind, as her stomach stirred like a cauldron of butterflies.  What if he did not want to see her?  What if she had to leave with no answers at all?  Before she could think up another ending of doom, a hand patted her on the shoulder, sending her reeling backward with a scream as loud as a siren.

  Once she had regained her breath and heartbeat, she looked around to see Mrs. Covington, a tall lanky woman with a voice rough like old rusty nails.  “How can I help you, young lady?”  Sara took a long swallow like it was whiskey going down hard, “Well yes, I called you a few weeks ago, uh about your horse trainer?”  she said in a question as if she was no longer sure what she had done.  “Sara Mosley?  Oh yes, I remember you.” Mrs. Covington wrapped her arm around her and led her to the house. “We have much to talk about Miss Sara, more than a phone call could rightly suite.” “My name is Leona by the way, call me Leona.” 

After hours out on the veranda drinking lemonade and laughing until they were crying and back again, the two ventured out to the pasture so that Sara could see where her father had spent all these years. Leona held out her hand and waved it forward like a game show host model, presenting the prizes in store.   “This is it.”  She said to Sara, like it was an inheritance finally at hand.  Sara stood there quiet for a moment taking it all in, when suddenly she looked back at Leona, and it hit her.  Her eyes got wide as moon pies, and then she stepped back from Leona.  Leona reached out toward her.  “It is me honey, it’s okay, it is me.”

This is just the beginning……

©Carrie Van Horn 2019

13 comments:

  1. Oh Carrie, what a rivetting read . . . loved the story but at first did not get it.
    Read it again and the names rang true.
    What a shock for her . . . but no doubt she took it well.
    The main thing is that he/she loved Sara.
    You kept me on my toes and even I jumped when a hand appeared out of nowhere with no warning on her shoulder.
    Great writing format for this prompt . . . Cheers, Eddie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eddie! Story telling is my weakness but i still like writing it. 😎

      Delete
  2. This was an awesome confounding of my expectations. Really interested in what might be coming next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissa...it will probably continue at some point..the continuation is still in progress. 😎

      Delete
  3. I love it when a character goes in search of truth and ends up finding truth (plus a lot more).

    I'm so glad that this is just the beginning. Because it will be grand to see how their relationship will grow, and to learn how the neighbors interact with Leona (and if they know the secret).

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magaly! 🌷 i am looking forward to seeing where my muse takes it myself. 😀

      Delete
  4. Ka-pow! I did NOT see that one coming. This was such a delightful twist. I completely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so intriguing! I can’t wait to read more of it. Mysterious ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara....what is ahead in the story is still a mystery to me. LOL

      Delete
  6. I had to read it a second time to understand it, but then wow! I love it. You hit just the right tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shay! That makes my day! I look forward to reading yours. :-)

      Delete
  7. The mystery at the end is most intriguing. I am looking forward to reading the continuation of this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson