Friday, April 12, 2019

Keep Moving On

Google Images

Linking with the Wednesday Muse # 3 "50 Shades of Rain" brought to us by Toni.
The Japanese actually have 50 different words for rain.  Today we are writing about rain, and or using one of the many wonderful and specific words they have for rain.
  Here is an example of some of these words:
kosame - light rain
enu - misty rain
shun rin - spring rain
uhyou - freezing rain
and the one I have chosen to use: nagame - long rain
Thank you for this wonderful prompt Toni! I learn something cool and new every week!

Also linking with Poets United for Poetry Pantry #446

The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.
 ~John Vance Cheney


I suppose even God needs a change sometimes
to move the rocks on shifting sands
to turn the heat of summer
to cooling rains
long ago when storms would arise
and thunder struck
my grandfather would say
"all is okay
God is moving furniture"
years later
in the heat of July
and the storms of life
I moved my own
the piano and couch to storage
my clothes to a friends
I suppose even the heart needs a change sometime
a woman's tears can be like a nagame in the July of Japan
seeming to never end
then like lightening
a change happens
and we move onward
for the heart has seasons
that change like summer
into autumn's cooler breeze
we have to move through
each one slowly
stepping through like a child
learning to walk
always moving
for life changes
and so must we
in storms and dry spells
if we are breathing
we shall rise again
and keep moving on.

©Carrie Van Horn 2019

17 comments:

  1. Oh I do love this, Carrie.
    Love God is moving the furniture . . . lol
    "A woman's tears can be like nagame" is so sad, after "eveb the heart needs a change sometimes!"

    I hope you got your piano back, very therapeutic.

    I have replied on my post to your comment about hip surgery.
    Yes the lady was absolutely beautiful and made my heart skip a beat.

    Looking forward to Sunday Muse #51
    Cheers, Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eddie! I will go check your comment. Muse 51 is up and posted. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late here Carrie, will have a crack at it tomorrow. I have been talking quite a lot to Tess lately.

      Delete
    2. That is cool. Please tell her i said hello and we are looking forward to her book. 😎

      Delete
  3. I love this so much, from your grandfather sdaying God was moving the furniture, to the long rain of nagame. The heart does have its seasons, and each one has its place on our journey. A wonderful poem, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry. You are right, each season does have a place on our journey. What a lovely thought and truth.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully encouraging. Yes, we move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, change is a part of life. And when life gets us down sometimes, we have to find a way to rise up again. A human being has to find a way of moving on...to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely writing. 'a woman's tears can be like a nagame in the July of Japan' … an indelible line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the way you embodied change in this, both the sudden and the anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You used the metaphor so beautifully. I remember some very stormy seasons I thought would never end. Sometimes I had to go pretty far to find the sunshine again, but I'd always find it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes i know about that furniture changing folk story from the old folks when i was growong up 😊

    Lovely poem of life and one's dynamism within the process

    Thanks for dropping ny my sumie Sunday Carrie

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  10. and the storms of life
    I moved my own... that was excellent- worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful poem, Carrie! I love that saying, ‘God is moving furniture’ – it was one my grandmother used - and the idea that the heart has seasons ‘that change like summer / into autumn's cooler breeze’. I also love the shift from the rocks on shifting sands to moving piano and couch to storage, something else I’m familiar with, having moved so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely gorgeous writing, Carrie! Especially like; "a woman's tears can be like a nagame in the July of Japan."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that to always move, to fight against stagnation, is always a good think. The alternative leaves us empty or full of unchanging things that stop nourishing us after not too long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this beautiful excursion into metaphor; so apt.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson