Sunday, May 10, 2020

Love is a Mighty Hunter

Image Source

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 107
Come join us!

“No language can express the power, and beauty, and heroism, and majesty of a mother's love. It shrinks not where man cowers, and grows stronger where man faints, and over wastes of worldly fortunes sends the radiance of its quenchless fidelity like a star.”
 ~Edwin Hubbell Chapin

I parade my scars like a mighty flag
Bearing stripes for all to see
Lapping love from every bowl
Knowing it is a true luxury
My mother was the first to wash my face
To provide sustenance
 yet my first greatest ache
for a child was not meant
to be motherless so early in the race
So like a tiger I became an early hunter
Searching for the warmest of hearts
Longing for something more
But I never had to venture far
For women are nurturers
From every valley to mountain top
And they will carry you to their den
If they see that you are lost
Love is a mighty force
That drives us to and fro
It keeps us ever searching
Further down the road
The memory of our greatest love
Is a gift we hold with might
Yet we freely give
You see women always nurture
Those in need for all the days they live.


Dedicated to every mother that found me along my searching path.

Virginia Van Horn
Dorothy Van Horn
Pam Thackeray
Ann Cornelius
Gloria Galindo
Joanne Moore
Carol Martin

and every other beautiful woman that mothered me along the way
 I want to say.
Thank you!




14 comments:

  1. "..they will carry you to their den/if they see that you are lost.." This is the heart of who we women are when we are at our very best. I love this poem, and congratulate you on your own hunt paying off so richly, for yourself, and for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! So much strength and so much nurturing. Mother, sister, friend, friend's mom, grandmother, all have a hand in raising us. An ambush of tigers all raising themselves up together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply beautiful. It filled my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Happy Mother's Day to you, sweet soul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't thought of a mother being the first to wash my face. Good thought, Carrie. Besides me I think she is the only other who did that, could have been a grandmother or two. We had good friends, the Cornelius couple from Friendswood, Texas, she was an Ann. They moved to north of Houston first.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad many mothers found you along the way. It is really tragic to lose a mother young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "So like a tiger I became an early hunter" -- so good. What a beautiful poem, and such a tribute to so many amazing women!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bless you! Mother or not, we never lose our need to be mothered. Childbearing or not, we have the instinct to share what we gain in the present if not in the past. My book of poetry, reMothering, has this as its theme. Your poem is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is excellent Carrie. “Lapping love from every bowl”. What a fine tribute to those who nurtured you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking about this blog is written good keep posting, love from India

    Alexa echo dot

    ReplyDelete
  11. This world have a lot of issue, but this blog makes me some relaxation, keep posting.

    robotic vacuum cleaner india

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this, Carrie. I found many helping hearts too along the way, then became one myself, as have you. That gift gets paid forward. Women rock.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson