Saturday, April 13, 2019

Two Poems

Photo by Pixabay at Pexels

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 51

I decided to be different and write two different poems for the photo.  I would love to hear from you which one is your favorite and why?
 Have a great weekend everyone!

Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair.
 ~G.K. Chesterton




Looking Deeper Within,


Sometimes great cathedral windows seem like eyes
That when you look into them, it is like peering into the soul of humanity
So much history
So many prayers within those walls
The architecture of our great grandfathers
Standing the test of time
Magnificent and still full of humility
Yet, in its solidarity, there is still so much division
It makes me sad looking in
However, when I step into its foyer
It makes me look deeper within
The halls of myself
and my hope is again renewed.


*************************************************

The Blue of Longing,

My heart has been here before in dreams
Outside the stained glass window looking in
The wind is high with longing
and my hair is lose like a harlot
Flying all over the place
I long to enter the cathedral
To be a part of the congregation
To sing as sweet as birds do
but I wake up with a tickle in my throat
Like swallowing a fallen feather
With amazing grace upon my lips
and a thicket of questions upon my breath
I am certain If longing were a color,
 it would be a deeper blue
A stained glass menagerie
My heart seems to know too well
but it is hope that keeps me searching
For answers within that blue abyss
It is hope that shall walk me down the inner aisle.

©Carrie Van Horn 2019

13 comments:

  1. Both are just beautiful, Carrie but the last one is my favorite. I just love and can relate to every line. Great poems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. I look forward to reading yours. 🌷

      Delete
  2. Evocative.

    I love these old Cathedrals. They each have their own story like people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, I agree that looking through those beautiful windows take you to places that sometimes you don't want to go, but must. Both poems are beautiful and to be lead inside by hope radiating from the beauty of the stained glass,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina! I am looking forward to reading yours! 🌷

      Delete
  4. These take me different places--the first remarkably like an experience of going to church, where that sense of crossing a threshold shifts the experience and the second like the beginning of a novel where I'm brought close to a character and wait to see what will happen next and how the present is built on their past. No favorites, per se...I love the first for its welcome sense of sanctuary and the second for its sense of possibility. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissa! The photo kind of took me two directions. 😎

      Delete
  5. I find both poems very powerful.

    The first because I get to learn so much about the speaker by how she describes what she sees and how the sight makes her feel. The second because it is a very personal poem, which like the first, gives us access into the speaker's spirituality and psyche.

    I prefer the second. To me, it speaks loudly and clearly about how a person's beliefs can shape how they see themselves. She says that messy hair makes her look like a harlot (and perhaps unworthy), as if level of neatness can say anything about someone's soul to anyone who really see. I wonder who put those ideas in her head. Society? Probably. That final thought leaves me wondering if the people she will find in the cathedral would ease her sorrows, or if she is better of getting to know herself and the energy that feeds her hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the second is the one I prefer myself. I like your observations of both of them. You always see deeper into my poems sometimes than I even do writing them. You could be a psychotherapist Magaly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the outside looking in feel. Those eyes are regal yet imposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love them both, Carrie, but I think the second wins by a short head.
      There is so much deatil beatifully painted . . . :)

      Delete
  8. Both poems are powerful. I happen to love the second one. There is such longing in it. It feels like the beginning of a story.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson