Monday, August 27, 2018

Soul Song





Linking with The Sunday Muse for The Muse # 18
Also linking with Imaginary Gardens for the Tuesday Platform.

Come Join us!


Neither height nor depth can measure the possibilities of the human soul.
 ~James Lendall Basford


I am feathered in grief love and longing and I am caged in skin and bone
I hold the knowledge of something greater beckoning me onward
and calling me home.

Life must be perched closely but it cannot be held too tight.
It is a ballad that must not be silent and bird that has to fly.

Birds are kindred spirits never meant to perch right here for long.
As we are called to something bigger, we have a greater song.

This song rises within us like a sparrow unto its nest
Stirring like falling feathers from what once was to what is next.

The soul is a mighty presence that can ride the wind like birds in flight.
It is bigger than scientific theories, yet smaller than our sight.

It is a guest in a God made palace that someday will crumble down.
In a journey full of lessons of being lost and then being found.

For I am feathered in grief love and longing and caged in skin and bone
I hold the knowledge of something greater beckoning me onward
and calling me home.




For Lauren










17 comments:

  1. So very beautiful, Carrie! What a wonderful poem for our lovely Lauren. Love this so much! So many out in the world can relate to this also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For I am feathered in grief love and longing and caged in skin and bone"...sigh this is soo beautiful!! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole poem is beautiful, Carrie, but I've fallen for the line:
    'I am feathered in grief love and longing and I am caged in skin and bone'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'I am feathered in grief love and longing and I am caged in skin and bone' a truly love line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful poem... and a beautiful tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the knowledge of something greater gives it a silent, seething power. This is so evocative and emotive: "I am feathered in grief love and longing".
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful sentiment in the opening and closing stanza. I love the bird thread and wrote a poem just today that reminds me of this. It starts
    The days of my life scatter
    like the goldfinches on Woods Gap Road
    The closer I get the faster they go
    A fleeting ripple of beauty
    that won’t be seen up close...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! How splendid! The rolling cadences perfectly support the sentiments expressed. Altogether an amazing poem and satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a petition, a prayer, a tribute, a memorial, a lesson - all rolled into one piece .... and the repetition from the beginning to the ending really closes the loop - and reminds of of spirit, soul, song - all we have to learn, earn and leave behind, when we're gone (whether departed) or moving through life experiences .... this is definitely interesting and I would say a lovely way to say, that even if a bird isn't meant to rest or perch for too long (and life is transient, really) somehow, it does leave quite an impression, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Life must be perched closely but it cannot be held too tight.
    It is a ballad that must not be silent and bird that has to fly."

    Sage advice. I love the repetition in this poem. It reinforces your thoughts beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very moving poem.The presence of the soul is a mighty presence indeed and by its supernatural essence will always remain a mystery.Beautiful spiritual poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me cry. It is so beautiful. A soul is a bird never meant to be caged in skin and bone, but in the beauty of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this song rises within us like a sparrow unto its nest... that struck me with so much sadness.. especially because all the sparrows are gone from Bangalore.. had this terrible thought that the song would not rise and nothing would call me home! The power of imagery and words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Touchingly bittersweet and very hopeful at its core.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the "feathered in grief" image too. (Trouble with trying to read too much while doing actual work--Tuesday's posts are read on Thursday and other people have liked the same lines.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Listen to the call, and go home.... this reads like a soothing hug

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness--this reads like a hymn & i can hear the choir & symphony swelling behind. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson