Tuesday, January 23, 2018

To Not Be Forgotten

~Courtesy Carrie's desk at work~

Linking with Imaginary Gardens for The Tuesday Platform
~Today is National Handwriting Day.~
So we are celebrating the art of hand-inking our thoughts and feels into words.
Brought to you by Magaly

Come join us!


There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen and writes. ~William Makepeace Thackeray


Like soft spoken children they nudge me on the arm
and refuse to be forgotten
getting my attention one way or another
words
they have been a foe
and my faithful friend
an adored lover
and an annoying neighbor
relentless yet true
giving me a chance
to not just speak
but truly be heard
and ultimately strive
to not be forgotten.


************************************************************************


I used to write to not be forgotten
now I write to not forget
I spent years
filling pages upon pages
 with words and thoughts
ideas and rhymes 
hoping to be heard
and I still do
but now
I also have lists
upon lists of things
I need to do
it seems 
that list
never ends.........and
I am in a never ending cycle
of forgetting things on the list.



10 comments:

  1. Yes, I am a list maker, note maker. I pen reminders to the coffee pot so at least I feel I will start the day not forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I too make lists and have a habit of forgetting things if I don't write them down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, I like the idea of "nudging words" waiting to be forefront. TD lists, I get more done if I have one. Inner self of mine likes to see things checked off. I liked your Thackeray quote also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Like soft spoken children they nudge me on the arm
    and refuse to be forgotten"

    "relentless yet true"

    Love those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been filling pages for years myself. Journals, diaries, poetry, stories, blogs and more. I also make notes. All digital now but not in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your speaker is not alone in her writing motivations, or in her relationship with words and their wants. Is a great feeling, isn't it? To write because we just wouldn't know how not to... and even better, to find out that we aren't the only ones wanting to read our words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have taught myself to keep everything in my head... but when I forget there are truly no record... alas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the playfulness and nudging reality in your poem~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making a conscious effort to pick up a pen or pencil this year. Even my grocery and to do list are tapped into my phone. Remember the days of pretty paper stationery?

    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm at the age now of lapse of memory and you are an inspiration for me to take notes, which I've never done....a constant reminder for me to write, should I forget.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson