Friday, May 23, 2014

Ten Thousand New Shoes



"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes."
  ~The Houghton Line, November 1965


Change can be uncomfortable like a new pair of high healed shoes.  It presses in too hard on the toes and makes you want to just stop moving forward, sit down, and pull off them suckers to make the pain stop.  The last year or so has been like ten thousand new shoes that I can't take back and I must cram on my feet and wear whether I like it or not.  Uncomfortable does not even begin to describe it accurately.  It is more like misery in red with heals too high trying to take steps on a slippery walkway, and sometimes I am falling on my face.

One of the changes that has taken place is my name.  I am no longer Carrie Burtt.  Now I am Carrie Van Horn.  A woman that obviously should not be married, having done so twice and unable to stick with the contract.

It has been over a year now since I left the man I had been with for 15 years and  packed up my things I could not live without,  headed to a friend's house, and never looked back.  Since then I have rented an apartment, joined a dating site, gone on a million dates, and last but not least changed my name.  It has been a grueling yet rejuvenating process, like getting a new pair of shoes that both make you feel good about yourself, yet hurt your old bunion at the same time.


What changes are you facing in 2014?





5 comments:

  1. Sometimes one just has to take control for everyone's sake, including the ones we leave behind. I always thought you would...eventually. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the last line of this piece is really indelible - and oh so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....congrats Carrie.I loved this post...the ref to shoes. I'm not a fan of changes, however, I know that sometimes changes are the best thing. I wish you the best in this new adventure. Hey, and good for you for taking a risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes on your new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have done well with all the change carrie...and you continue to life...that is important...i dunno what change may be coming at this point i dont see anything big...but that can change pretty quick...

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson