Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Beauty in Scars

 


"scars" Digital art by Beth Conklin

Visit her etsy store & click HERE

The poem below is a response to my favorite prompt that is now back for all poets to enjoy:

Shay's Word Garden Word List!

I am quite late participating but please join in & there will be a new list tomorrow!

(Use at least 3 of the 20 words)


The Beauty in Scars,

"I show my scars so that others know they can heal" - Rhachelle Nicol


There is an art in healing,

letting the willow bend

to no longer break.

My soul does not crave the vase of lilies,

but longs to run in a field of wildflowers.

Yes, I want the sweetness of triumph,

but first I must taste the sober truth

that only a poet or pastor can tell

I can no longer be still like zeroes,

letting weeds grow and surround my aching knees!

Give me engines that propel me forward;

the strength to rise like a fox stepping on hill upon hill.

For there is an art in healing,

letting out all the stitches to embrace every scar.


11 comments:

  1. "My soul does not crave the vase of lilies," That's just such a stellar line, contrasting the hard glass or clay that breaks if it's bent, with the wildflowers whose stems are pliable. The sense of your poem is the reason why I stopped being afraid to write about anything as long as it's honest, because I found that someone else always identifies and gets some strength out of knowing they aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shay and I do agree about raw honest writing and it is a wonderful thing to write and for it to speak to someone else that way. I am so glad the Word List is back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful to read you again, Carrie. Such a beautiful, beautiful poem. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry! You always inspire me!

      Delete
  4. Perfect! And so glad we are all back at The List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Qbit! I always appreciate your comments, and yes the list is back and I am so happy to see everyone too!!

      Delete
  5. For there is art in healing ~~ and healing in art. I love this sweet Carrie.
    Love, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The imagery here is piercingly powerful, truth embodied especially in the last lines which absolutely say, without ambiguity, what must be said: "For there is an art in healing,/letting out all the stitches to embrace every scar." Wonderful poetry, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm grateful for the actionable advice you consistently provide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Storage Facilities In Manchester

    Discover top-rated storage facilities in Manchester for secure, convenient solutions. Explore affordable options near you today!

    Storage Facilities In Manchester

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson