Saturday, October 9, 2021

What Hands & Hearts Hold

Linking today with the Sunday Muse for Muse #181  come join us!

 

Speech is a prank of Parliament,
Tears a trick of the nerve, –
But the heart with the heaviest freight on
Doesn't always swerve.
~Emily Dickinson

 

When my hands were small

I could not hold the heaviness of many truths

although my heart could carry every loss like a fire fighter

leaving a burning building with lives to save

 still I wanted to know what lied ahead

I wanted answers to every question

to know why God was everywhere

and my mother could not be found

uncertainty leaves a certain ache

not knowing the next move

nor what will happen next

has a way of moving us all

one way or another

 like pain can lead a man to drink

and yet love can do the same

I have come to know that there is movement in all things

in the gift of joy and the loss of grief

a bird swiftly flies to a higher branch

 yet his feathers slowly fall

each moving somewhere different than where they began

my hands have grown with time and callus

and I have held the heaviness of knowing many things

and still there are many questions

even though my heart has learned to hold too much

 like a bishop holds the sacrament

and a knight his mighty longsword

bravery only moves forward

and love is always brave.


16 comments:

  1. "uncertainty leaves a certain ache"

    I am feeling this now in our strange times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr Otonokpo to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Otonokpo because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr Otonokpo on his Email Address otonokpotemple@gmail.com, call/whatsapp him via his contact +2348114129781 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr Otonokpo for your great work.

      Delete
  2. I love the Dickinson quote and the part about God being everywhere but the mother nowhere to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes definitely, love is often brave — but is it right, or does it see through a glass darkly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I love this piece, the way you express the weight of loss, of life's unknowables and the steadfastness of love. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, this is a magnificent poem. It lifts the heart and gives strength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, your poetry holds so much of the essence of You .. your life. This is immense ~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous piece.

    My favorite line:
    “like a bishop holds the sacrament”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love is always brave indeed, and not for the faint-hearted. Lovely writing, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many questions to ponder. Love is always brave as it is filled with
    uncertainty. Why is it that feathers fall so slow ? Now, you have my
    mind wandering, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "although my heart could carry every loss like a fire fighter /
    leaving a burning building with lives to save" Oh! Oh! That is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Excellent questions to ponder..
    Love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a heroe's journey. I particularly like the last 2 lines. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr Otonokpo to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Otonokpo because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr Otonokpo on his Email Address otonokpotemple@gmail.com, call/whatsapp him via his contact +2348114129781 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr Otonokpo for your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer Davison18 December 2021 at 08:56
    I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


    Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson