Saturday, January 30, 2021

Here in My Grieving Heart

 

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 145
My amazing and talented poet friend Chrissa is hosting this week!
Come join us!

"...a final comfort that is small, but not cold: The heart is the only broken instrument that works."
~ T. E. Kalem

You tried to weather the cold with no jacket

that was a dangerous thing to do my dear

there are worse things

 than fevers and frost bit toes

it can be a precarious place here

shifting winds

colder than Colorado

snow falls and stays longer than a cast-iron skillet in an old kitchen

the grievances of a thousand hurts

lay beneath the snow’s crest

it does not take much to conjure them up

the ghosts of what could have been can walk fields

longer than any continent

yet you walk here in this knee deep snow

expecting winter to walk out

like a dad who has had an affair

you think the warmth of your arms will

one day thaw what is frozen

bring the climate change needed

to heal and grow the underbrush

to break what should be truly broken

yes you were the light in the distance

the one that came through the break in the trees

but sometimes the one reaching out to help

gets pulled into the great abyss

you tried to weather the cold with no jacket

that was a dangerous thing to do my dear.


Note:

~For the record this is not about me.

It is people I have known

Hearts I have tried to love

Places I have walked away from

and my heart could not forget~.




34 comments:

  1. I love this so much:

    “yet you walk here in this knee keep snow”

    What a captivating piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much....that makes me happy, ironically I meant to say knee deep...which I have fixed, but knee keep kind of works too.

      Delete
    2. I thought it was brilliant and beautiful.

      Delete
    3. Awww consider yourself hugged! ((((((((O))))))))

      Delete
  2. Beautifully describes some people I've known as well....those fellows with the warm arms, etc! I love your way with words, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beverly! You have a way with words yourself. 💐

      Delete
  3. One won't last long being out in the bitter cold. Nicely used metaphor. It takes many traits to intercede or guide when help isn't asked for. Psuedo Big Sister help?
    I liked your form, lots of eye openers.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is eerie--the images of snow and things that stay, unused and forgotten pile up and chill. A good warning poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love it when I can manage eerie. Thanks my friend. :-)

      Delete
  5. The opening and closing lines are great bookends. Trying to weather the cold without a jacked often leads to
    pain. The dark abyss seems to come from places that once held light. (I think warm knitted mittens are needed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right Truedessa and thank you so much. I agree knitted mittens are a wonderful idea!

      Delete
  6. There is much history in your poem .... story after story. I loved the snowfall and cast-iron skillet in the old kitchen analogy. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah. This hits the heart, my friend...........the soul trying to walk in the cold with no jacket, that we have loved and been unable to save.......I especially love "snow falls and stays longer than a cast-iron skillet in an old kitchen"........wonderful. I recall my mother's black greasy iron skillet and how our eggs were flecked with black from the pan............I have been unable to own one - horrible memories of that skillet. This is a marvelous poem, so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry my friend! I bet you could tell some fabulous tales about that skillet and that kitchen as well!

      Delete
  8. "stays longer than a cast-iron skillet in an old kitchen" - I still have my mother's cast iron skillet, maybe 70 years old. Nothing cooks better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those skillets are the best. Glad you stopped by Qbit. :-)

      Delete
  9. Stunning!! This is awesome 👏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad this is not about you, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sandi....thank you for reading my blog. :-)

      Delete
  11. The repeated line really drives this home and the theme of it fits so well with the season of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zander. So glad you joined us at the Muse this week!

      Delete
  12. I love the comparison to the skillets! Yeah, sometimes when someone tries to help someone else, they just end up in the same mess that person was in, only now it's their mess too. This is marvelous work, Carrie, so much keenly observed truth in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww thank you so much Shay, and yes sometimes helping ends up only adding more hurt to another.

      Delete
  13. Dont we all, need a jacked in the snow. Nice one Carrie

    Thanks for dropping by to.read mine

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Gillena, and I so enjoyed your poem for this.

      Delete
  14. How goes the saying Carrie, “No good intention goes unpunished”. Strong bit of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rob and yes that saying can be quite true!

      Delete
  15. This is beautiful, powerful writing. I have felt the frostbite of trying to help when it was a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Pain can certainly bring a harsh winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my friend. Yes it is a harsh winter indeed to deal with some hearts. It brings pain in all directions.

      Delete
  16. The imagery in this is wonderful. The cold was felt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson