Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Four Sad Songs for a City Slicker


Photo Credit


Linking with Poets United for Midweek Motif ~ City




Don't let the city steal your soul. ~Terri Guillemets




Noisy Lover


You are a lover that only some hearts can keep


with your noisy chaos and slippery streets

you have the power to make fickle the strongest of souls

making them yearn for a more green and peaceful home

though you are like an amazing poem with so much packed in a small space

you cannot compare to God's quite country of beauty and grace.

************************************************************

Lost on 5th and Broadway

A trip to the city gives me shivers like frost
cause instead of arriving it feels more like being lost
getting mixed in the fabric of engines and lights
and for some that is suffocation of a different kind
a world full of people from the west to the east
an accident on Main and traffic jam on all streets
you are certain to get lost before you find your place
cause you left your heart on a field a country mile away.


************************************************************

Skyscraper Song

You have designed me like gods that never knew heaven
my posture straight and strong but I am prone to disease
your blue prints seem perfect in plan and design
my stories are many and I am worth more
than some see in a a life time
then when plans change and walls mold and decay
I am disposed of like trees
for you have designed me like gods that never knew heaven
my posture straight and strong but I am prone to disease

***********************************************************


 The City and the Night

It is alive like a crackling camp fire
streams of light seem to melt together
moving to a pace only fast songs can play to
one street begins where another ends
yet all objects in the mirror are more distant
than they seem
still like lovers the city and the night become one
the sighs of a hundred lost lovers
hum in the distance and yet ring right in our ears
so many lonely people in one place
our love is 100 miles away
while another's bumps us as we pass.






12 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I love the echo of nostalgia throughout... a hankering for the peace of country life- amid chaos and loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we build cities, as a monument to what we have left behind? In recapturing an innocent time, when we viewed the world around us, with open eyes. Hoping to leave our mark for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does it get galloping at such a pace. Cities have a mind of its own

    Luv all your city writes today Carrie. Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much🎀love

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I like the contrasts, the gods and the traffic jams, but here is my favorite line: "still like lovers the city and the night become one." I see the narrator's fascination though it is city is foreign to her spirit. I relate! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are truly wonderful, Carrie. I love the first and fourth especially, but they are all gems. My fave is the city being alive like a crackling camp fire. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great collection of city poems. I resonated with "Lost on 5th and Broadway" with Adelaide (my city) is a very formal planned grid of streets that are easy to find your way around. It is sometimes a shock to find yourself lost in a different city that has grown like topsy where nothing seems logical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it fascinating how seeing a bit of NYC through this speaker, I can barely recognize the place. Perspective is a magical thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "though you are like an amazing poem with so much packed in a small space"...This is gem of a line. Love all these snippets of city air quite similar to the cities I've known. beautiful, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your little snippets of city life too Carrie.
    I so understand arriving feeling as lost, cities make me feel like that.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great city poems, each special in its own way, and each capturing a facet of a city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! These are all so descriptive, Carrie. I love that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get the shivers in cities, I cannot and no longer wish to deal with all the energy and people.....
    Nice writing here *smiles*

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson