Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Memory of Slipping

Crepuscule
Heinrich Kuhn (1897)

Linking with Imaginary Gardens for "Camera FLASH"  Brought to us by Kerry



"Nature is a haunted house ~but art~ is a house that tries to be haunted."
~ Emily Dickinson


The memory of slipping has its hold on me
so I fight the fall with all the strength I have
grasping at straws like they are railing
on the empire state building
trying to control a fall
is similar to trying to restrain a bullet 
after the trigger has been pulled
but still I try with diligence 
each step carefully laid out
like a Methodist worship service
but the hymnal is not in my hands
one cannot hold faith and fear
so fiercely at the same time
letting go requires a certain courage
the kind of strength that trees and rivers know.





10 comments:

  1. "letting go requires a certain courage the kind of strength that trees and rivers know".. such beauty and truth in your lines, Carrie!💖


    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting go... maybe it's more like be a river running than a body falling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed it all, but , Oh, from the Methodist line on I was spellbound! Wowzers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful.. in its inevitable outcome. Slipping..unable to stop..like clutching at straws..or restraining a bullet in flight. Faith or fear...not both, but one.
    Love the descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the form, I had to take a breath for you nice long sentence. I liked the period at the ending.
    "letting go requires a certain courage
    the kind of strength that trees and rivers know.

    If you 'fall' were falling in love this would be wonderful. If succumbing to a tragic episode, I'd rather hang on tight. A fun and wide open read for me.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The likening to a Methodist service is spot on. It made me grin and show it to my Methodist husband. But it is true - "letting to requires a certain courage..." So very true. So very very true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there is so much wisdom in this poem especially the last two lines concerning the "the kind of strength that trees and rivers know" which capped off the poem beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an intriguing angle on the image.. the idea of slipping comes across in both the literal and figurative sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your exceptional write of physical and mental slipping and the strength (and courage) needed to let go. There is so much wisdom in your words and your close is superb.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  10. The part about the Methodist service is just so good. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson