Friday, May 8, 2015

What Remains

 
Google Images
 
I originally posted this 5 years ago.  In observation of Mother's Day and my birthday, I wanted to bring it back to life again.  Happy Mother's Day everyone. :-)
 
 
Linking with Imaginary Gardens for the Tuesday Platform. :-)
 
 In search of my mother's garden, I found my own. ~Alice Walker
 
 
  
 
 
Time burns her memory like a building on flame and my heart keeps re-entering to salvage what could be lost soft cuddles pushes on the swing thoughts shared all return to view I cradle them out of the wreckage with the tenderness of a mother yet fervor of an explorer certain I will retrieve something new that had been once consumed by time's tarnishing way
one vision at a time relinquished like a photograph taken out from underneath the protective glass yet they still fade tattered at the edges and dust in between reflecting the weakness of my memory to capture every moment like a camera but I will carry on with the recovery holding on to each one like a child's hand afraid of losing them out in the open streets for I am the guardian and sole heir of them all and I will carry them with me in homage.
 
 
 
I turned 47 this year; the age my Mother was when she passed away.  I never realized at that time how young she truly was.  She never saw us kids grow up, attended our graduations, had the pleasure of participating in our weddings, or held her grandchildren in her arms.  Now I am very aware of the blessings that I have to see my grown children, and have the opportunity to watch my grandchildren grow up.  When I look at myself in the mirror I do not see the many wrinkles, or all the grey hairs, that seem to accumulate like dust on a picture frame.  I see the reflection of my mother's smile, and her heart that lives on in my life.
 
 


17 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful piece, the best regard to a mother. Iam sure she'd be proud of you, May her soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is a perfect fit for Mother's Day, and you know this photo captured my eye immediately. I trust both of our mothers are smiling down upon us, every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is beautiful. Your words are the way I feel right now after recently losing my own Mother. I cannot imagine losing her at the age that you lost your dear Mom.Thank you for your words. Your Mom is smiling down as is mine. Yours would be so proud of you. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your love and devotion to your mother reflects in your writing. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute.. and yes 47 is a very young age to pass... so sad.. I love how you have written about the aging.. the old photographs.. the gardens tying to that quote. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bought tears in my eyes.. such a beautiful tribute to your mother..!
    Beautifully penned..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the reflection of my mother's smile, and her heart that lives on in my life.

    That line, too, is beautiful prose-poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful poem - I love how you find your mother in your face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mother's live on in us. great observations. i bet you hear her in your voice too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, bittersweet, boldly affirming ... this has all the tenacity and ferocity of standing a mother's ground, of standing confidently in the mother's ground that was given by a mother no longer here. Fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this hits me right in the gut. Thank you for sharing. Whoosh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie,
    Thank you for reminding me what are the most important moments in life. How are you my dear? I am fine. Tired and sometimes, wanting to get away from all this 'busy days'...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie,

    I truly commiserate with you and your great tribute to the memory of your mother. I feel sad also that my mother died twenty years ago, just after we had moved from living in Ireland, to England. I missed her so much geographically; than within a few months she was really parted from me. Recently I wrote a poem called Maternal Love ( At my Blog), which contains a final line,' I always see you mum reflected in my own face.'...I understand Carrie...
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh so sad...a mother's love cannot be replaced...it's hard to lose them any time but to lose them when you are young is very hard. Lovely tribute !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson