Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Soul's Watering Can

Courtesy Google Images
 
Linking with Poetry Jam for the "Thirst" prompt.
 
To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.  ~Emily Dickinson


I am wilted and parched in places
 that the sun and man shall never see
 in my heart's garden of utter regrets
 that grow wild on the plenty of complacency.
  Pick the roses step on the orchids
 pull the weeds if you dare,
but please God water the deepest roots
 before my outer foliage becomes bare.



People and plants both must have water to live and in many ways are very much alike.  If you nurture the roots, the outer foliage is always more lovely.  The same is true for a human heart.  If you feed the soul with the fruits of the spirit, then the evidence is always seen on the outside as well.  What goes in has a way of bearing witness on the outside as well.  We can hide many faults within our outer armor, but some things just cannot be hidden.  We can starve the soul for a while but sooner or later the malnourishment is visible for the world to see.  The different is that the garden relies on man to feed its fold, and man relies on God.  Yet there is still another difference; God allows us the choice to accept Him or deny Him.  He is the soul's watering can, but only we can choose to pour it in.





20 comments:

  1. I like this, Carrie. We depend on God to water the deepest roots indeed. He is the only one who can. Always so good to see you in Poetry Jam. Your presence makes me smile, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your analogy. We are indeed like plants and need a gardner but I also believe that unlike plants we have the choice to accept or refuse the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty strong prayer in that last line...all the exterior...we can keep that pretty nice...but those deep places...only god can touch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't knot which i luv best: your image, poem or chat, oh well enjoyed my visit immensely

    Oh and thank you for stopping over at my blog

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful write. I enjoyed reading this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and true... thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of truth in your poem Carrie. There are things only God and ourselves know. My prayer is with yours that He would pull the weeds and water the roots that rely on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And it is a choice we must affirm every day ~ Thanks for the lovely message ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you intertwine nature and the soul, perfect in every aspect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He knows how to tend His garden...a lovely write :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Water the deepest roots, the well of life, great words and full of life

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true and beautiful in your delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautifully described the thirst of water! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie, a beautiful and deep poem. Quite a profound take on the prompt. Nicely done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A delightful and very deep write, Carrie. I really liked the comparison plant-human you did. Indeed we need to be watered so we can bloom. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post Carrie. Love the picture and poem and quote by Emily D. And your message - right on true. Wishing you an amazing Thursday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So gorgeous and spiritual poem. I loved it.

    The first two lines itself blew me away :
    "I am wilted and parched in places
    that the sun and man shall never see"

    Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your message.
    Beautiful.
    Thanks Carrie.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson